Frequently Asked Questions

  • I just moved to the area, how do I enroll my student(s)?

    Please stop by our office and bring your child’s birth certificate, immunizations, and proof of residence (specifically a mortgage/lease document or a utility bill—anything other than this will not be accepted as proof). Once your student is enrolled, you will then complete online registration and meet with a counselor to select classes.

  • How can I monitor my student's grades, attendance, etc.?

    Create you very own PowerSchool Parent Portal which allows you to see your student’s grades, assignments, attendance, citizenship, teacher comments, etc. Contact the office at 801-481-4810 and ask for a copy of your personalized Parent Portal instructional letter. This can be emailed or faxed to you, sent home with your student, or picked up in the front office.

  • Does Clayton have a Lost and Found?

    Yes, the Lost and Found is in Room 1015 which is inside the main office.

  • How do I report my student's absence?

    Call the main office at 801-481-4810 and asked to be transferred to the Attendance Secretary, Mrs. Winkler, to report an absence. Your student may also turn in an excuse note signed by a parent or guardian—please be sure to write your student’s first AND last name on the note. Parents may still receive an automatic notification regarding their student’s absence even though a voice mail has been left or a note has been turned in. 

  • What are Clayton's office hours?

    School Year Hours

    • Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm

    Summer Hours

    • June 6-15: 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
    • August 2-19: 9:00 am to 3:00 pm


  • How do I excuse my student early from school?

    A student may only be checked out from school by their parent or guardian. Please call the office at 801-481-4810 ahead of time, or you may excuse your student when you come into the office to sign them out. Keep in mind it may take up to 10 minutes for your child to be excused from class, gather their belongings, and meet you.

  • How do I permanently withdraw my student?

    Alert the Registrar, Ms. Vanessa, at least two days prior to your student’s last day at Clayton so that the necessary paperwork can be taken care of in time and so you can be made aware of any outstanding fees or applicable reimbursements.

© Clayton Middle School | Salt Lake City School District