Clayton Virtual Program
Clayton Virtual Middle School Program
Clayton Middle School is excited to announce that we are the home of the virtual program for online students for the 2023-2024 school year. Online middle school students can enroll by contacting the school.
The online middle school program is a synchronous schedule with live instruction and increased time with teachers. Students follow the same bell schedule as Clayton and use Canvas as a platform for learning and submitting assignments.
Online Attendance & Academic Expectations
To be marked present for class, students have their camera on, actively participate during the lesson, and complete assignments. Accommodations to this expectation can be made on a case-by-case situation.
- Students will be marked absent if the requirements are not met.
- If a student is consistently marked absent for 10 days, the student returns to their home school and attend school in person.
- The student will be withdrawn from Clayton and staff is contacted at the home school.
If a student is inactive or inconsistent with completing assignments, a team of teachers, administrators, caregivers and the student will put an intervention plan into place. If that plan does not change the academic success for that student, a timeline for the student to return to their home school and go back to in-person learning will be enacted by the team, which will expand to include administrators of the student’s home school. Teachers use the Canvas activity report to identify when a student is actively participating and working on assignments. Caregivers are strongly encouraged to check Canvas weekly to help monitor their student’s progress. Research suggests that active and regular participating in school, regardless of format, maximizes student learning outcomes.
As needed, Clayton can provide students with the devices and access to internet services
Students enrolled in the virtual middle school program are a part of the Clayton Cougar Community. Students have access to a school counselor, announcements, activities and after school events.
Students have access to a basic middle school program that includes:
A full year of:
- Language Arts
- Social Studies
A half year of:
- CCA/Digital Studies (8th grade)
- Art (7th or 8th grade)
- PE (8th grade)
- Health (7th grade)
*As the virtual school grows, more electives will be offered.
Below are some frequently asked questions about our program:
- Can a student take some classes online and some in person? NO
- Can classes be substituted for classes listed on the program description? NO
- Can a student move back to their neighborhood school during the year? YES
- Can a student participate in afterschool events, such as dances, at the school? YES
- Can a student participate in classes such as theater, music, etc., in person at the school? NO
- What if a student is not participating online? The school will intervene. If there is no change, after 10 days the student will be returned to their in-person neighborhood school (or district).
The first step of starting the Online Registration Process is to click this LINK.
PLEASE click on "Clayton Online" when choosing school choice.